10 Oct 2008

"They were making noise, manhandling toys
That's the girls on the block with the nasty curls

Wearing padded bras sucking beers through straws

Dropping down their drawers, where did you get yours?"

Well, the end of my holiday will be nigh when I go to London for the day. But I shall be going on pay day so it won't be all bad. (Incidentally for any Americans reading this that's London, England near France ;) ) A spot of Christmas shopping in Hamleys, Camden town and maybe a bit of going nuts with one of my new cameras in a museum or two. I was thinking Imperial war museum, National army museum or maybe even the British Museum. I was supposed to be going up with a mate or two from work but they just ummed and ahhed so I thought sod it I'll go on my own and then I can please myself where I go. Maybe this time I'll actually get to go up Primrose hill? It's about the only Madness related site that I haven't been despite having been as far as the Chalk Farm tube station on the cover of 'Absolutely'.. and taking a photo in a sad sad sad kind of fan boy way. I wouldn't mind going to Abbey Road studios if it's interesting (checks interweb) Oooh a web cam of the abbey road crossing... guess that's a no on the interesting part then? Anyway I'll probably buy a shedload of crap from Mega City comics, Forbidden planet etc. I used to love going to Carnaby st. But as the Jam? sung it's not as good as it used to be. I mean whoever heard of a Boots the chemist in the bloody street? I hope Sherry's are still there though as I prefer them to The Merc. I will however spend a couple of hours trawling through the markets of Camden town and no doubt buying a tacky souvenir maybe even two. From Oxford street although even that has succumbed to the innevitable encroachment of Sainsbury's, Tesco, Boots et al, never mind you know what they say? Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

On another note in recent days it's come to my attention that some readers are actually inspired and/or entertained by this humble little blog. A couple have even been inspired to start their own blogs which is good. Although I would hope that they copy the good bits and not all the depressed moaning bits of a couple of years ago. :) I'm not used to people thinking what I do is great and I thank those concerned from the heart of my bottom, for the compliments. I've added a couple of links to the right hand side of the page and the more astute of you will realise that I've removed the MySpace links. This is due to my being bored with the whole social networking thing and getting rid of my MySpace and FaceBook pages. And now after wading through all that old drivel ...the music.

Firstly I've updated an old tape I did back in 1996 of Pulp Live at Glastonbury the previous year. Then we have Paul Weller's Album Stanley Road from around the same time (albeit the remastered version with extra gubbings) and finally I've given you The Rutles by The Rutles.

Pulp
Paul
Weller
Rutles

Enjoy and See You Next Time

11 comments:

HJ said...

Cheers for the Paul Weller. His stuff is so hard to find over here

gobshyte said...

mate you have a very funny entertaining blog with lots of great music!ive linked to here from
www.mondo-de-muebles.blogspot.com
hope to see you there!

Mike said...

I've just been there and I may be downloading almost all the stuff you've posted. :)

Mac said...

The thing about your blog Mike, it's a good read and you give us ace music.
Mind that hat size now.

Mike said...

Aw gee shucks t'ain't nuthin'

Anonymous said...

Yeah, great stuff - both the music and the entertainment. The Rutles is a classic. Talking of which, it's one of the things I've got on VHS that I'd like to convert to some sort of digital format. On 11th September you said you were doing some VHS conversions - what do you use?
cheers,
Jon

Mike said...

Sometimes I use My Daewoo VHS to DVD Combo and then I rip it with Xilisoft. On other occasions I use My Ion VCR2PC depending on whether I want to keep it on DVD or just keep it on the computer. The only problem with the VCR2PC (Made by Ion sold by Maplin.co.uk) is the fact I have to convert it down to AVI via Magic Video Converter as it converts to Mpeg and they seem to be very large. But apart from that it's a nice bit of kit.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mike. I don't really want to buy a VHS/DVD combo to convert just a small number of tapes, so I might have a look at that VCR2PC.
Jon

Mike said...

Well they are about the same price sadly. I can recommend either the two products below from Maplin (or a better company) A84FT (Dazzle DVD Recorder £39.99) or A86HZ (DVD Maker 2 £29.99) That way you can use your existing vcr and pc.

El said...

It's hard not to be disenchanted by the corrosion of meaningful musical landmarks, particularly in London town.. but you just have to suck it up sometimes and relish the importance of all this..

The first thing my brother and I did when arrived in London was visit Freddie Mercury's former abode in Kensington. Andrew insisted on it, namely because he knew how infinitely important it was to me when I was younger. The house has become something of a shrine - you cannot sign your message on the walls of the house anymore, but you can sign the door of Garden Lodge. We took the train to Earls Court and then we took the bus in the wrong direction.. and then we somehow managed to the right way - eventually to Logan Place. It was a pretty overwhelming thing for me, to be truthful, I couldn't believe I was there. So much so that I didn't have anything to write on this goddamn door! I had twelve years to think up something wonderful and moving, something that would sum up what his music meant to me, but I hadn't dreamt anything up! But I did think of something inevitably: "Much loved, much missed. Elle x"

It's a bit silly, I know.. but it is nice to go where all of this transpired. It makes it real somehow.. and to compare your message to all the others left on the door makes you realise that you're never really alone.

Thank you for your post, try not to get swept up by the cynicism of it all! x

Mike said...

Cynical? Moi?