9 Sep 2009

"Laugh and say I'm green
I've seen things you'll never see.
Talk behind my back
But I'm off the beaten track.
I'll take on anyone
Ain't scared of a bloody nose,
Drink till I drop down
With one eye on my clothes."
Ok so let me set the scene, there I was expecting a school musical crossed with the Troy McLure Planet of the Apes Musical from the Simpsons. ("He can talk he can talk" "I can siiiiiiiiing!") etc. Musical theatre not exactly being the first thing I'd rush out and see. I did steadfastly refuse to watch more than the first twenty minutes of the Madness musical Our House due to feeling quite angry after all. Even after several attempts of trying as well. I had further misgivings outside the Mayflower theatre Southampton when the opposite courtyard was awash with scooters and 'more authentic than me' middle aged mods. I immediately thought that it was going to be like the Rocky horror dreadful bollocks show where everyone has to dress up and sing and dance in the aisles and all that unBritish crap.
But, no I was blown away from the opening moments, a live band who although were no where near the quality of The Who (who could be (no pun intended)), still gave an immense performance. The cast were fantastic and had no kind of the usual 'performance art school poppet' about them at all. The only downside that I've got with it is the bloke who played 'The Godfather' character resembled Eddie Izzard rather than the Mod icon pop star and although had a passable voice couldn't reach the powerful notes and sounded like Eddie Izzard being strangled at one point... which would be no bad thing if it were actually happening. The girl who gave a fantastic performance of 'Love Reign Over Me' sang so powerfully almost brought a tear to my wizened old self (adjusts to manly voice "No it was the air con that affected my contacts ... if I wore any"). But seriously she can't 'alf belt out a tune that one. I might even buy the dvd if one comes out. I have recently listened to the album as a result and can quite honestly say that due to the cast singing individual lines as I think Mr Townsend meant it to be sung. The album has become a totally new experience by that I mean the album instead of me thinking it was sung by one or two characters turns out to be sung by several. It now has resparked my interest in the album and I will have to keep it on the spare MP3 player I use when falling asleep. I wish I'd taken my dictaphone as I planned to do originally and do a bootleg for you all. When Jimmy (for it was he) told me it was the greatest present a fellow ageing Mod could give another for a birthday present I was a little dubious to say the least. When I had to break my embargo on Boscombe to get to his flat to be picked up walking past the Police wrestling with the homeless drunks in Boscombe gardens I was a little dubious. When I saw the (fellow) ageing mods outside I was little dubious when the curtain went up and the band launched into 'The Real Me' (brilliantly choreagraphed (oooh get me) by the use of four Jimmy the Mods to represent the four facets of Jimmy's personality) I wasn't dubious anymore. I don't even mind the having to set foot in Boscombe anymore (the first time since the incident at wankinson's (oooh the bitterness is still there then?)

Anyway I'd like to thank Jimmy and Emma for the 40 and half birthday treat. It was the greatest birthday present an ageing mod can give another that doesn't involve Winona Ryder and a jar of honey and certainly beats a paltry ten pound note from family into cocked pork pie hat.

Anyway enough bitterness here's the downloads. Firstly I've upped the Anthology albums from the Be - At Les for you to enjoy. Also I've upped the original vinyl version of the Quadrophenia album which I found on a torrent. Enjoy.




5 comments:

Mike said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/281898033/TW_-_Q__1973___VINYL_.part1.rar Quadrophenia vinyl
http://rapidshare.com/files/281912492/TW_-_Q__1973___VINYL_.part2.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/282577580/TB-Anth1.part1.rar Anthology 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/282593841/TB-Anth1.part2.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/282500412/TB_-_Anth2.part1.rar Anthology 2
http://rapidshare.com/files/282513040/TB_-_Anth2.part2.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/282526465/TB_-_Anth3.part1.rar Anthology 3
http://rapidshare.com/files/282564773/TB_-_Anth3.part2.rar

gobshyte said...

nice post mike cheers fella.i have a non music enquiry for you.do you remember the 'colditz' tv series from the early 70's?a mate got 12 episodes of it from somewhere on the web.i thought that was all of it but theres about another 16 or so.i dont suppose you have them and could burn them to a disc for me or have an idea where i could d/l them?ive tried looking on the web but have found nothing.if you have them ill send you discs or something in return.i thought with your interest in all things military you might know where i might find them!thanks for listening!

Mike said...

No sorry I don't have them but If I spot them I will email the links. Here's some info in the meantime.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068059/

gobshyte said...

cheers for that info mate.i was wondering if you wanted me to post you the episodes i have if you like?

Mike said...

It's a kind offer thanks, but to be honest I have 5 external hard drives full of stuff I don't listen to or get to watch now thanks.