5 Dec 2009

"Harry rag, harry rag
Do anything just to get a harry rag

And he curses himself for the life he's led
And rolls himself a harry rag and puts himself to bed"

So imagine me happy go lucky old me. There I was enjoying life at the moment and on my way to an event I've been looking forward to for at least six months having booked the day off for the gig especially. I take my camera along (not the great big one but my pocket camera), but the moronic security turds make me put it in the security office because its a camera with a lens on it (to quote them). Well all cameras have a lens on them otherwise they aren't cameras just box of electronics doing nothing. But they were insistent so I went and put it in there. The dumbass in the office said I'll give you a receipt for it in case you forget to come and get it. "Not bloody likely it was quite expensive" I say and snatch the receipt and walk off whilst he's in mid sentence. Then the gorilla-a-likes snatch the bottle of Lucozade from my hand and rip the top of the bottle saying I couldn't have it with a top on in the arena, but gave no explanation as to why. I only bought it for after the gig. I wrote to Chrissy Boy on the official site only to be told that it was at his request as 'he owns all the rights to the Madness photos'. So that's it as far as I'm concerned the Madness stops here. That was my final gig. To be treated like that at the behest of a band I've supported through thick and thin is a slap in the face to say the least. If I can't take a camera in to a concert to have a memento of a gig by a band I've loved and followed for thirty years all of a sudden then fuck it. To be honest what kind of shot would I have gotten from the balcony? Certainly not a professional shot by any means. I mean when it was the lean years of '86 - '92 when I bought Voice of the Beehive, The Nutty Boys, The Madness, Butterfield 8 and The Farm just because of the connection with Madness. They couldn't do enough for you if you met them in a pub or at a gig. I remember when they split up I'd been in M.I.S for about four years by then (I still have the card), I got a parcel of merchandise from them twice as big as they'd advertised just because that's the type of guys they were, generous. But I suppose as they hurtle towards retirement they are feathering their nests more and more. Well you pay for them to do that if you want but I wont anymore.
The irony is that I've just written a piece for my company magazine all about Quadrophenia being a story of betrayal and how the whole film is a flashback of all the reasons why Jimmy walks away from Mod by killing the Ace Face's scooter, and now here I am doing the same suddenly realising the true faces of my heroes. I've always tried not to put people on pedestals as I've always been disappointed and I hadn't realised I was still doing that with Madness. I should have known really that with the whole 'look at me thing' that celebrities do because they can't do the real world stuff like the rest of us 'norms' do, all celebrities are self serving arses without exception. Case in point during the gig Suggs asks us all even though we've bought Norton Folgate and Total to buy the remasters of Absolutely. Why? So I can own something I already own in several different formats? Basically all they are doing is selling me the compilations I used to make when I was a kid so no, no more albums, gigs, books, t shirts or anything related to the band. He referred to the band as a 'corporation' there is always a kernel of truth in every joke.

And now I feel the need to kill something on Modern Warfare 2... again.

Anyway here's a video I found online called Ska Beatz, which is directed by Joe Massot and seems to be alternate takes from Dance Craze. A great post by the original poster. Also I've given you Bollocks to Christmas an alternate and punk Christmas album.

12 comments:

Mike said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/323176076/SB.part1.rar Ska Beatz (30 mins video)
http://rapidshare.com/files/323189472/SB.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/323204550/SB.part3.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/323217717/VA-BtC.rar Various Artists - Bollocks to Christmas

iorel69 said...

great blog Mike!
I have a little gift for you and your followers.Its my rip of
Take It Or Leave It (1981)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199065/

Enjoy and have a Merry Christmas!

here are the links:
http://rapidshare.com/users/Q54150
or
http://hotfile.com/list/222635/b5fb02d

Richard said...

Sounds to me like Madness have just dug themselves a hole.

They've always been a favorite of mine, but hearing your tale of greed and idiocy has changed my mind.

Fuck 'em.

And the horse they rode in on.

Anonymous said...

Mmm! Good point mate, I kinda feel the same way.

Although I think when they were signed to Stiff "yes! They sold a lot of records!" but I guess they were shafted by Stiff, shit royalty percentage and hard work schedules etc... The back catalogue was always being licensed out to other companies which were a pain in the arse, when all you needed to buy was Complete, Utter and Divine.
Madness were always going to come back every few years when they were skint, but now they own their back catalogue it's obvious that it's all going to be released again, although I must say the extended album versions is a brilliant idea & Norton's got its moments too. Good luck to them really, As for them as people their pretty sound, Lee's always been cool and gets the drinks in as does Chris, Suggs and Mike are just themselves "albeit richer than the rest" Woody don't drink or smoke anymore and is a bit boring, Mark is just down to earth. The only ego in that band is the coke sniffing, Ibiza Mason, who insists on dedicating Our House to all he's family at every opportunity!!!

Have a Good Christmas

Mike said...

Hmmm if I think you're referring to who I think you're referring He was always the least favourite of the band anyway.

Still let them all just get along without my support or money.

Have a great Christmas yourself.

neil said...

they say you should never get to close to your heroes in case they are arseholes - it seems in your case they are.

It's a shame

Mike said...

Paradoxically I've always found that people you think were arseholes turn out to be the nicest on earth.... I'm off around to see Alex Ferguson and Simon Cowell :)

Merry Christmas.

SERENITY said...

Cut them some slack Mike, 30yrs on, things change, but you always have the memories of the good times.
Open a can on me!, and have a great new year.

Mike said...

I will open a can of Coke, what with being teetotal and all. But I'm afraid I don't forgive easily besides they aren't going to care about the loss of one long term fan there are plenty more to take my place.

Mike said...

Besides, yes things change but you never forget where you come from and who spend many pounds on you even if they couldn't afford it. Madstock 1 I went without food, lighting or heating in my crappy bedsit for four days just to be stood on and my shots not to come out. If you chip away at the foundations the tower will fall.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you problem with the Madness gig last year, Madness usually encourage people to take pictures and video of their gigs but security can be a bit arsy about it at times. As for what Chris comments when you messaged him is just Chris humour which can be very dry at times Im sure it was just said in jest. As for the re-releases these are aimed at people who have not bought the originals and are getting into the band for the first time, which there are quite a few of at every gig especially the festivals. Dont let it spoil your memories of the band.

Daz

Mike said...

Too late